Building a career at Granite may be the most valuable thing you could do... Are you interested in the opportunity to work for an industry-leading company that will give you the experience and exposure you need to build your career and personal brand?
If so, then youve come to the right place! Since 1922, Granite Construction has continued its long standing commitment to building some of Americas largest infrastructure projects including highways, bridges, dams, rail, and power.
Recognized as one of the top 25 largest construction companies in the U.S., Granite specializes in complex infrastructure projects and provides award-winning construction services in mining, earthwork, water / sewer, power, tunneling, rail, highway and bridge construction.
Granite also produces construction materials-sand, gravel, ready-mix, recycled asphalt product and asphalt concrete, and is a proven leader in alternative procurement project delivery.
At Granite, our employees are our most valued asset and we are passionate about retaining, developing, and recruiting the best talent available.
Our employees reflect our core values Honesty, Integrity, Fairness, Accountability, Consideration of Others, Pursuit of Excellence, Reliability Safety and Citizenship and we are continuously looking for individuals who possess a winning attitude and share our Core Values.
In exchange, we help you build a career that no other company can duplicate. You will be part of a learning culture, where teamwork and collaboration are encouraged, excellence is rewarded, and diversity is respected and valued.
Add our award winning safety program, ethics, reputation, and a commitment to continuous improvement and youll see that we are building more than infrastructuretogether, we are building your future.
General Summary The Field Engineer will assist with the day to day field activities of the GBMS Team, serving the City of Chicago.
This individual will be tasked with but not limited to the following reviewing subcontractor quotations for scope accuracy by comparing to City of Chicago Task Order Solicitations or requests for proposal, breaking down scope for subcontractor packages once task order solicitations are received from the owner, attending bid walk-downs and completing job-site visits prior to bid, gathering of subcontractor and supplier proposals, assisting with invoicing and billing paperwork, completing requisitions for procurement of goods and services, attending Customer meetings, coordinating subcontractors to ensure timely completion of scope as defined in issued customer task orders, inspection of worksites for safety violations and ensuring that subcontractors are working safely, as well as other work as defined by the Senior Project Manager and the Management Team.
The Field Engineer must be a self-starter willing to learn both the office and field side of the business, with a view to grow within the organization as skillset improves by taking on more work and managing more and more difficult tasks as needed.
This position is responsible for efficiently and executing all tasks associated with the successful completion of projects totaling up to $3MM.
Essential Job Accountabilities 1. Assist with job controls to ensure compliance with contract, budget, schedule, forecasting and job costing.
2. Interpret design / drawings and customer scope of work for craft workers installing material to ensure specifications are followed.
3. Research and recommend resolutions to drawing interpretation problems, conflicts, interference, and errors, to verify that all completed work complies with applicable codes, drawing and specifications.
4. Prepare and disseminate all required documentation records such as status reports, punch lists describing work items to be done, sketches of work already completed, material requirement calculations, to supervisor to provide accuracy.
5. Provide technical support and direction regarding project material controls including delivery dates, construction schedules and design requirements to ensure additional costs are minimized.
6. Prepare drawings and sketches to support construction work, change orders, and estimates to meet changing job requirements.
7. Provide necessary building control lines and elevations for accurate measurement and correct installation of materials to ensure a quality job.
8. Develop job essential data including quantity take-offs, material price lists, labor costs per man hour, and equipment to ensure accurate estimates and bids.
9. Research historical data and productivity analysis reports in order to compile summary reports to develop guidelines and precedence for future estimates.
10. Maintain files of working documents for back-up to estimating figures to support accuracy of bid submission. Qualifications Education Bachelors Degree in Mechanical / Electrical Engineering Construction Management, Business Administration, or related field preferred, or equivalent combinations of technical training and related experience.
Work Experience 0 - 2 years construction estimating support, engineering, field support, or similar experience. Knowledge, skills, and abilities Proficiency with all MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project etc.
Working knowledge of construction equipment and techniques, drawing and specifications, building materials and required standards applicable to discipline.
Ability to perform trigonometric calculation either manually or with a calculator. Ability to assume responsibility, interface and communicate effectively with others.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit and use hands to operate a computer keyboard.
The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and / or move up to 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Subject to outside working conditions. At times will be working around large construction equipment, must be safety conscience.
Additional Requirements / Skills Comply, understand, and support corporate safety initiatives to ensure a safe work environment.
Team player Ability and willingness to abide by Granites Code of Conduct on a daily basis Valid drivers license and ability to drive with safe driving record Multi-Tasking Capabilities Organizational skills required Willingness to learn and adjust processes to suit the various Customers Must be able to work within all of the City of Chicago City Limits About Granite Construction Incorporated